We frequently have pediatric patients coming in to our office with parents looking for answers to their little one’s troubles such as “flat” spots on their head or tightness on one side of their neck and/or can’t look as easily to one side, re-occurring ear infections, slow to achieve specific milestones (i.e. sitting up, crawling, walking, or maybe skipping crawling all together and going straight to walking!).
Chiropractic is wonderful at correcting these types of issues up in children especially when the spine is involved. The challenge is this. Instead of seeking out chiropractic care in a reactive way (example; at 8 months your child is a candidate for a helmet due to the flat spots on his head or your baby had 5 ear infections in less than a year and if she get’s one more she’ll have to have tubes inserted surgically) try using chiropractic as a preventative approach to health It’s a lot easier on children and the parents. It’s ALWAYS easier to maintain good health as opposed to correct an issue that has been progressing over weeks/months/years.
Two SIMPLE things parents can do to start their little ones off on the road to good health is…
1- Regular chiropractic spinal checks and
2- Tummy time, lots of it.
Here’s why Tummy Time is so so important to start right away:
– Gives the back of their head (occiput) a break. Lessens the chance of flat spots (plagiocephaly-can be corrected with chiropractic but takes time)
– Lessens the chance your baby will develop torticollis (can also be corrected with chiropractic but can take time and lots home exercises as well as patience)
– Develops strong neck and back muscles so baby can achieve developmental milestones on time
– Stretches abdominal muscles and give the digestive organs a “massage” = good digestion and eliminate gas
– Enhance your baby’s posture and coordination!! (Super wonderful for preventing spinal problems later in life that make our job harder)
– Better development of visual system. Including tracking and near and far vision (visual organization) very important for when child goes to school so they can see the board and learn appropriately
– Develops baby’s throat and mouth area needed for speech and language development later
– Reduces muscle tightness in the head and neck areas. This helps your baby’s brain and nerves function at an optimal state and helps chiropractic adjustments hold for longer periods of time
-Simply put, tummy time promotes good health and prevents spinal problems as well as problems related to motor development and learning later in life
(P.S. Baby wearing does not equate to Tummy Time)
If you like this post please share with other parents!